Two Questions

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Fri Dec 19 13:52:06 EST 1997

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Jim Richards wrote:

> >jpapier wrote:
> >Here's a rather non-Web-related question I'm posing on behalf of a
> >friend:  Is there some mechanism (eg software) which will allow Win95
> >users to use Macintosh CD-ROMs, either directly in their PC's or via a
> >CD-ROM Tower?  Any pointers to good info on this would be much
> >appreciated.
>
> Try looking at any of the Tiger Direct Catalogs.  There's a piece of software called
> Mac-In-Dos Plus.  It allows a PC to directly read & write Mac files,convert file
> formats, supports long file names, works with SyQuest, Jazz, Zip, Sony, Bernoulli, and
> CD-ROM drives , and runs under  3.x, 95, NT 3.51 & 4.0, and DOS.  I think it costs
> about $80.  If you need more info, let me know.

Be aware that Mac-in-DOS only allows one to read and write files to or
from Mac-formatted media. It does *not* allow one to "use Macintosh
CD-ROMS" beyond that (i.e., it doesn't let one run Mac software, which is
how I interpreted the question).

Mac emulators are available for the Amiga and the Sun workstation (they
both use Motorola chips), though they are likely out of date by now
(probably can't handle MacOS 8 or even 7.5). There is no
publicly-available Mac emulator for Intel-chip (or Intel clone-chip)
computers.

Byron

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113