Netscape not using netscape.ini -Reply -Reply

Frank Cervone fcervone at wppost.depaul.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:05:27 EST 1997

Yes, this javascript file is used to support multiple user profiles.  The
information here is loaded in the the local user keys in the registry to
provide a customized environment for different users on the same
machine. However, most of the items in this file are customizable through
general preferences or, in the case of bookmarks, through the bookmark
editor. Because of the dependencies in this file, Netscape recommends
that it not be edited. Having done support for users that ignored this
advice, I would strongly concur with Netscape's recommendation.

Frank Cervone
Assistant Director for Systems
DePaul University Libraries
2350 North Kenmore Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
773-325-7726

>>> Steve Harter <harter at indiana.edu> 12/17/97 11:29am >>>
But there is also a file named prefs.js located in the Netscape directory
(or a subdirectory) that contains a lot of customizable information.  If
you want to change the location of your bookmark file, for example, you
_must_ change it here, as far as I know.  This is true of Communicator, at
least.

   Steve
    ~~~

      Stephen P. Harter,  School of Library and Information Science
      Indiana University                      Voice: (812) 855-5113
      Bloomington, IN 47405                     Fax: (812) 855-6166
                           <harter at indiana.edu>

~~~