Policy for Office Computer Use

Min Liu minliu at lilrc.org
Fri Dec 12 11:42:56 EST 1997

Hi folks,

I would like to ask if anybody has a policy for office cumputer use in
your institution.  The computer I refer here is professional or
technical staff's pc, not public workstations.

As the office computers connecting to the Internet, the staff can
download sharewares, plugins and the latest version of the browsers such
as IE 4.0.  Sometimes, those activities do cause some unknow problems
deponding on how much the user knows about what she/he is doing.  In a
networked environment, one pc functions improperly might cause a problem
to the whole network (LAN).    Under this circumstances, a policy for
office computer and Internet use is really necessary.

I do think the "owner" of the office computer shouldn't install any
software or change the network settings without consulting the system
administrator.  I want to send out the message without making people
feel offended.  Any input or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Min
---