Request for help - Setting up an active

Ashton, Jason jason.ashton at esr.cri.nz
Tue Dec 2 16:26:00 EST 1997

Dear People,

Being a special library we are mostly concerned with servicing people
within out organisation rather than the public at large. Because this
site is large and many people don't take the time to come to the library
we thought it a good idea to create an Intranet of sorts to deliver
desktop access.

This we have done, to a point.

The page is housed on a standard network server. A server that in no way
is configured for active WWW technology (ie it has no cgi setup). This
leaves us unable to do many very important functions (eg a counter to
prove the numbers of people using the page, forms for easier replying and
requesting than the mailto links, an internal search engine...)

We have also been told that we are not to spend any money on this.

My request is this... Does anyone know how to set up a server so that cgi
applications are able to run?  Or... Does anyone know where I can go to
find out this information?

Any and all help is gratefully accepted.

Jason.
Jason M Ashton  <e-mail: jason.ashton at esr.cri.nz>
Information Research Services
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
Private Bag 92021
Auckland
New Zealand