GW2K or Dell?

Shaken Angel jbfink at ogre.lib.muohio.edu
Sat Dec 6 15:28:07 EST 1997

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Vladislav S. Davidzon wrote:

> > On the other hand, I have used an equal number of Compaq Prolineas as
> > Dells and Gateways and consider them to be superior machines. As I say, if
> > you can only choose between Dell and Gateway, go with Dell, the extra few
> > bucks will be well spent. If you're not limited to those two
> > manufacturers, I recommend you consider Compaq PCs.
>
> I've had very poor experiences with Compaq's.  My recommendation would be
> Dell.  Their machines are very reliable, and they do have pretty good
> support except for when it comes to backorders (which take approximately a
> month to fill -- if you need a REALLY old part, which you normally
> wouldn't.)

I definitely have to agree with this.  Under no circumstances should you
consider purchasing Compaq machines.  The chief beef I have with them
(besides inexcusable overall technical shoddiness) is that the components
they use, no matter where they came from originally, are labeled "Compaq"
such and such.  For instance, a particular Compaq server we have here at
Miami U has a "Compaq Fast/Wide SCSI bus" or something, but it's actually
a standard Adaptec bus.  This makes installation of OS's not directly
supported by Compaq (such as Linux) a hassle, and makes local
diagnostics/repair of Compaq machines difficult to say the least.

Do your systems folk a favor and don't buy 'em. :)

-- john f., miami university library systems.

the above opinions are mine and not necessarily the opinions of the Miami
University Library Systems Department, Miami University Libraries, Miami
University, its students, faculty, staff or trustees.