cheap and filter free way of resticting access

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Tue Aug 26 20:41:06 EDT 1997

Hi

For those of you that are wanting to restrict internet access on
certain terminals to catalogues/databases only, but like myself cringe
at the thought of "Netnanny - restricted site" coming up everytime
somebody tries to venture out, then there is another solution that
doesn't involve filters, proxies etc., which I don't think anybody
has mentioned before.

If you set Netscape to use manual proxy (under options-network) and for
the http:// proxy enter anything but the name of a really server (I entered the
text "Station Limited to Catalogue), then put the domain names of those sites that
you want to access in the "no proxy for" box. Then use ikiosk to
disable the network option menu. When anybody tries to go to a site
that isn't in the "no proxy for" box they get an error box headed
"netscape is unable to locate the server"
"Station is limited to catalogue"

Not a perfect solution, but a free one if you already have ikiosk or
some other menu disabling package. It would also be limited in the
number of sites that you could allow, I have no idea how many you can
list in the "no proxy for"  box. If somebody does know this I would be
interested in finding out.

Regards
Glen
Glen Davies