making background image

Chuck Waibel newworld at bagley.polaristel.net
Mon Aug 25 18:05:22 EDT 1997

> I would like to turn a gif of our school mascot into a background image.
> I've made it tranparent but that leaves a black outline image that is not
> what I want.  What I want is the grey image look that I've seen on other
> pages.  I don't want it to distract from the text of the page.  Do I need
> special software to do this?  If so, what should I get?

	For instance, here's how the first few lines of one of my pages looks:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
  <!-- Created by AOLpress/1.2 -->
  <TITLE>Clearwater County Home Page</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#808000" TEXT="#400040" LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800040"
BACKGROUND="forest_s.jpg">

	You should be able to place any kind of GIF this way. Just remember to
save it in a proper size, and without a border. As far as color, to get a
"dimmer" effect you must edit it in your graphics software, swapping colors
or lessening intensity.
Regards,
Chuck Waibel