Novell Application Launcher vs. CARL Menu Builder

Scheherazade Fowler sfowler at camden.lib.me.us
Mon Aug 25 17:26:09 EDT 1997

Hi folks --

please excuse the duplication and the slightly off-thread nature of
this post.  Couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives.

Here at the Camden Public Library in Camden, ME, we have
13 public access stations (6 are primarily web and word processing
only, though the catalog is available at those as well.) on the
Windows 95 platform.  Right now I'm using user profiles only as my
security, and I'm trying to find a security program that will also
provide patrons with a clear, easy to understand way to choose from
available applications, rather than simply disabling certain Win95
features.

One choice is CARL's Everybody's Menu Builder -- looks pretty good as
far as these things go.

But I am intrigued by Novell's Application
Launcher (we're a 4.1 server with a 50 user license).  My experiments
so far with it suggest that it might be a good alternative -- you can
control desktop options from  a central location, and users can't
modify .ini files on local machines.  At startup, a user (depending
on the rights and attributes you've given them) gets a window which
has application choices in it -- the applications can be either on
the server or on the local hard drive. But I'm not sure how much use
it is as a security tool --  I was able to prevent users from
closing that window but not from minimizing it and fiddling around in
Windows 95 in the background.

Has anyone looked closely at Novell's Application Launcher?  I'm
interested in your thoughts on its strengths and limitations within a
public library setting.  If you use it, what supplemental security
measures do you need to take to prevent meddling with the Windows 95
desktop?  I'd also appreciate comments on CARL's Menu Builder from
those libraries which are using it -- how is security, and how do
patrons react to it? Are there other products I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sherry Fowler
Systems Librarian
Camden Public Library