UWTerm and NT workstation 4.0

Nina Platt nplatt at legarto.minn.net
Mon Aug 25 13:42:58 EDT 1997

I don't know if this is the appropriate list for this question but I've
been reading the postings regarding telnet applications and thought
someone may have an answer to this problem.

We are in the process of moving to Windows NT 4.0 workstations from a
combination of VAX dumb terminals and PCs with Windows 3.11.  We've used
UWTerm in the past (on 3.11) to access an application (MASS11) on a VAX
that requires the vt200 emulation and uses the vt100 edit keypad.
During our conversion we will continue to use MASS11 for a short time
until everyone is up on the network and trained in Office 97.

It appeared that UWTerm was going to work for us on the NT workstations
to access MASS11 but we've run into a problem.  The vt100 edit keypad
works for a time and then loses functionality--the "gold" key no longer
works in conjunction with the other edit keys.  It's strange because it
doesn't happen all the time.

My question is threefold.  1) Does anyone know if there is a way to
configure UWTerm to consistently use the vt100 keypad on NT?  2) Should
we consider finding a 32-bit telnet application and forget about using
UWTerm?  3) If we do need to move to a new telnet application, does
anyone have any recommendations for NT that does vt200/220/320
emulation?

We've tested UWterm with Netscape and haven't run into any problems so
didn't plan on changing telnet packages for our Internet use.  Our need
for UWTerm to access MASS11 will just be temporary so we don't want to
spend the money on a new telnet package (or the time to install it)
unless it's necessary.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Nina Platt, Systems Librarian
Minnesota Office of Attorney General