Weird pdf printing problems

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sat Aug 23 10:58:56 EDT 1997

Karen G. Schneider wrote:

> Speaking of printing problems, I have a pdf printing problem (related, I
> hope you agree, since where else do I get these digital tomes but the Web).
>  I thought it was work-related (Win 3.1, Novell network, Netscape, slightly
> aged reader, etc.) but then had the same problem at home (Win95,
> standalone, MSIE, new reader...).  Sometimes--and fortunately I've only see
> this happen with small documents--I'll try to print the document and it is
> interpreted as much longer than it really is and prints out all
> kerflummeled.  As in, I see a one-page document on the screen, I go to
> print, and suddenly it says "printing one of 4" and I can even see it spool
> the "four" pages.  Four garbled pages then spew from the printer.  I can
> try again and print just one nice little page.
>
> Should I try to run pdf from the command line (e.g. acroread.exe
> -kerflummel), or is there a better fix?

Karen,

I'm not certain if this is the root of your problem, but the problem
itself sounds like what I've been getting at work when users try to
print pdf files using the browser's print button instead of the acrobat
reader print button.

When you click on a link to a pdf file, with the acrobat plugin
installed, you get an additional tool bar appearing in your browser
window.  When printing, it seems necessary that you use the print button
from this acrobat reader toolbar, instead of the browser's print button.
It's taken some education, especially since our intranet is pdf-heavy,
but it seems to eliminate the problem.

Cheers,

Tim

--