Beyond Beyond: Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Visualization of MetaDated Collections

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Fri Aug 22 13:10:29 EDT 1997

                   Beyond Beyond:
  Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Visualization
               of MetaDated Collections

     Over the past several weeks I have posted several
queries requesting information relating to Data Mining
and Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) and 'neo-
conventional' thesauri. While my focus has been on
conventional library cataloging formats (i.e. MARC)
and conventional subject access inventions (e.g thesauri),
my Quest certainly applies to other types of formats
and data, most notably MetaData.

     Thus, [Thus?], I am interested in learning about
any and all efforts that have applied Data Mining and/or
conventional/neo-conventional Knowledge Discovery and/or
Information Visualization to collections that have been
wrapped in MetaData (e.g. TEI, Dublin Core, SGML (?), etc.)
At this time I am _Not_ Interested in the projects of
the geo-spatial realm [This no doubt will become
an area that will need to be explored at another point]

  As always, any and all leads, citations, comments,
criticisms, critiques or commentary will be most welcome.

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(Sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS

   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                          Attributed to Peter Drucker