Open letter to Brock Meeks

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Aug 22 11:15:36 EDT 1997

At 10:03 AM 8/22/97 +0000, you wrote:
>> Date:          Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:36:30 -0700
>> From:          Sheryl Dwinell <dwinells at vmsb.csd.mu.edu>
>
>[...]
>> faced with so many pressures.  I don't care how you feel about filters and
>> how much you think they should be used in public libraries.  To align
>> yourself, even on ONE issue, with these groups makes me ill.
>
>I suppose then in the library profession there is no room for
>someone who is both a librarian and a member of one of these groups?

Any librarian can belong to any group they want. I was stating MY
viewpoint. Just as David Burt does when he states "filtering means being a
good librarian." That's his viewpoint. It doesn't mean that I have to
believe it.  What I feel about an issue shouldn't impact what anyone does
in their private or public life.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu