Open letter to Brock Meeks

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Aug 22 10:23:46 EDT 1997

>possible audience, with the widest range of views included.  Most =
>Americans *are not* aware of the pro-filtering librarian's side.  That's =
>really the basis behind Filtering Facts in the first place.

And you know this because....?  How many Americans know the anti-filtering
librarian's side? How many Americans are aware of the filtering debate
itself?  Most every person I've talked to outside of the library about this
issue hadn't even heard of it, or had some vague knowledge about
controversy over porn in public libraries, but none had any awareness of
the ALA's stand on filtering. In fact, some of my libertarian friends think
that libraries already repress free speech. Go figure.

I've checked out your web site a few times, and I'm wondering where all the
'facts' are about filters.  I'm specifically looking for testing results,
explanations of how each filter works, how they are actually utilized in
libraries, what they block, etc. etc.  How can you espouse the wonders of
filters without some sort of testing of the products?  Have you actually
installed them of your computer and attempted to surf the Web? Have you
determined their effectiveness in blocking hard core pornographic sites?
Have you estimated the amount of time required to keep the filters
up-to-date and working properly in a library setting?

I checked out the groups you listed on your site that also support
filtering. I find it laughable that one is headed by Donna Rice.  Don't ya
just love how someone who made a name for herself by sleeping with a
married U.S. senator, has suddenly found a conscience and is spending her
time telling others how bad they are.  Then there's this group, Library
Watch, which has the gall to say:

"Library Watch Online Magazine covers the news related to Public Libraries
using public tax dollars to distribute materials to children that are
pornographic, obscene, and/or otherwise illegal. Special note is paid to
policies of the ALA (American Library Association) and many (if not most)
libraries that defend the librarians right, even obligation, to provide
these pornographic, obscene, or harmful materials to children regardless of
state laws."

Hm...so that explains why the librarian at my local public library was
standing at the door handing out copies of Screw to all the kiddies walking
in. If that paragraph isn't the biggest load of crap I've read this week.
I've had about all I can take of librarians being slandered by these
groups, including Family Friendly Libraries. We aren't a cabal of
evil-doers whose ultimate goal is to turn every kid under the age of 10
onto hard-core porn and destroy the morality of this country.  Most of the
librarians in this country are hard working, community-minded, committed
folks who are trying their best to serve the information needs of a
incredibly diverse body of users.  Public librarians, in particular, are
faced with so many pressures.  I don't care how you feel about filters and
how much you think they should be used in public libraries.  To align
yourself, even on ONE issue, with these groups makes me ill.

Rant off,

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu