To Duplex or Not to Duplex

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:36:39 EDT 1997

>>Our computer technicians have strongly advised us
>>against reusing paper in a laser printer.  Reused paper is
>>apparently very hard on the rollers and the fuser.  Repairs
>>may cost more than paper supplies.

>Hi! On the surface this seems like a logical argument, but I have a
>question. If this is so, shouldn't duplex printing present the very same
>problems? In my experience, all of the HP printers , when printing duplex,
>are essentially printing on paper that is "used," at least in the sense
>that these arguments are presented. Just something to ponder.

I'm not a copier expert, although I learned more about their innards than I
ever wanted to know when I worked with a duplexing unit.

I read an explanation of this once (before the intro of the HP IID duplexer)
which echoed Connie's original statement.  It's not just the wrinkling
(although that is certainly a pain), it's what happens to the paper and toner
when it goes back through the second time - it can get scraped off and Bad
Things may happen to your printout, if not the printer.  I think copiers and
printers intended for double-sided use handle this better (though even they get
cranky after a while, and it's not pretty).

You can get away with doing it occasionally, and I don't know if long-cooled
prints would pass through without this problem.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org