Public PC printers -Reply -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Fri Aug 15 14:32:26 EDT 1997

>>> "Andrew J. Mutch" <amutch at tln.lib.mi.us> 08/15/97
12:12pm >>>
Re: Printing from Laser Printers and whether to charge or not.

The solution we have been using(after we wrestled with all the
related issues sourrounding charging for print-outs) is to use
recycled paper in our lasers for the patrons.

Like everyone else, we generate piles of "scrap" paper that
goes to the recycle bin.  We cull through the paper and
anything that isn't sensitive is reused for the patrons.  A little
note with the recycle symbol lets the patrons know that using
recycled paper allows them to get free print-outs. I haven't
had a complaint yet.  If a patron needs a "clean" print-out, we
do have a few stations that print to a printer that uses "virgin"
paper. We have yet to have a complaint and it has really cut
down on our paper costs that were getting out of hand.
------------------
Most interesting idea.  But we generate several large barrels
of recycle a week, and I doubt that we'd find it worth doing.
Since the paper for lasers costs us about $.0039 a sheet, I'd
think the labor would cost us much more.

Also, most of us have found that recycled paper, even if
perfectly flat, jams much more often in laser printers.  In fact,
since we've struggled with paperjams in other laser printers
on staff desktops, we've advised them NOT to use recycled
paper in laser printers, particularly in high speed ones.  It has
caused us more trouble than it is worth.  Also, HP
recommends (as do many other mfgrs) to NOT use recycled
paper for two reasons:  1) Paper jams  and  worse  2) having
the back side print of whatever type transferring onto rollers,
requiring expensive cleaning/maintenance.  #2 is NOT true if
it is a duplex printer.

I'm glad you brought it up.  I'll keep it in mind in case the cost
becomes too much of an issue.

dan