Public PC printers

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Thu Aug 14 16:43:09 EDT 1997

We've been using, and loving, Epson LX300s for years, but on
DOS cdrom or terminal printing.  They are cheap and just
don't break.  I've used ThinkJets in past and wouldn't now due
to supply costs.  Supply costs are a killer on any inkjet I've
ever seen or heard of.

LX300s are not the answer for web or windows printing, nor
are any inkjets.  Newer inkjets from HP and others are faster
and better.  None have tractor feed.  No one WANTS tractor
feed anymore, at least not the market these are pointed at,
which is home and small business, not libraries.  They want
to print on regular paper, no tearing, no raggy edges, etc.
Same of course is true of laser printers.  Laser printers are a
good answer for web printing if you can afford enough of them.
 And, naturally, the inexpensive ones are slower.  Of course
the printing will be to a great extent depend on the CPU and
disk space available for it to build the page(s), too.

If you accept the above (and let me know if you don't, or have
some magic answer), then the option remaining is something
like an HP 5si, which runs about 2300 bucks, but prints
17ppm and is a network printer.  The downside?  It needs,
most likely, to be at a service point so that someone can
distribute the output and/or collect money for the printing.

I'm not hung up on the 5si, but it seems best we've seen, and
best price for something in that class.  I don't want to start
the debate about whether to charge or not, and how much.
The real question is has anyone simply put a networked
printer in a public area (in our case in the area of some 25
networked CDROM and WEB workstations) and NOT given it
attendance, much as is the case if you hang a printer on
each workstation?

I know there will be times for refiling paper, paperjams, and so
forth, and folks are used to that with 20 LX300s.  But what
about people fighting over stuff, hassling you that their stuff
didn't come out yet (probably because there are a dozen
cued items ahead of it), etc?  I'm thinking of recommending
we go to a networked printer but NOT putting it at an attended
desk.

Reactions?  Suggestions?  Comments?  Experiences? Am I
crazy?  (answer that one only as related to this question,
please.)

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.