More Stuff

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Thu Aug 14 15:56:09 EDT 1997

        Just read that Arnold Schwarzenegger will star in Ridley Scott's
remake of I AM LEGEND. Previous incarnations were called THE LAST MAN IN THE
WORLD and THE OMEGA MAN. I've seen the 2nd but not the 1st. Maybe Scott will
do it right - keeping the name suggests he may try to be true to Matheson's
story. any reactions? I thought OMEGA was well visualized and shot but not
very satisfying, and that Charlton Heston (again!) did a good job of acting
as if he was cracking from loneliness.
        More importantly, I just read DONNERJACK by Zelazny and Lindskold. I
found it very good, with a whole system of worlds in virtual reality gone
mad that could have rivalled Amber. ICFA attendees will remember Z reading
the very beginning to us, with its Orpheus-meets-Rumplestiltskin plot.
Zelazny's hand is all over it, and I really couldn't spot where the two
authors diverged. I found myself hoping our hero would put one over on Death
in the end, but to quote from memory, 'The universe doesn't owe you or me or
anyone else a happy ending.' A fast ride through groves of strange
attractors on a hell-bound train! And dammit, there won't be any more....

 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460     www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss