Maintenance is so booooooooooring -Reply

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Aug 14 15:05:52 EDT 1997

>But don't validators simply tell you whether a not a page
>*exists* at a particular URL? It won't tell you (for
>example) that the page now says "This wonderful
>reference source has moved -- its new location is
>http://some.other.location/".

That's too bad.  Since link checkers must minimally do an HTTP HEAD request,
and since the HTTP header includes the size of the file, it would be trivial
for people writing link checkers to let you flag pages that were smaller
than some threshold size.  Most "We have moved" pages are probably less that
1000 bytes, for example.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu