Maintenance is so booooooooooring -Reply

Steve Cramer scramer at davenport.edu
Thu Aug 14 13:55:00 EDT 1997

 <Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us> August 13,
1997  6:12 pm >>>
"One of the problems we've found is that there may well
be one person (me) who writes the HTML and plays
some with content.  But we also  have Reference and
Branch staff who look over and search for content. With
the  HTML validators now at our disposal, it's almost
easier to run our pages through them for link checking,
than it is for Reference staff to click each link on a page to
see if its broken."
__________________________________

But don't validators simply tell you whether a not a page
*exists* at a particular URL? It won't tell you (for
example) that the page now says "This wonderful
reference source has moved -- its new location is
http://some.other.location/".

At least, the FrontPage link validator will only confirm the
existence of a page, it won't inform you of major changes
to that page.

Steve Cramer
Davenport College Library
Holland, Michigan USA