Disabling Exit from Netscape v3.01

elist-web4lib at ircam.fr elist-web4lib at ircam.fr
Thu Aug 14 12:04:01 EDT 1997

As I (think I) wrote earlier, we have AVOIDED using Netscape, for it
did not provide an adequate "kiosk" mode.  Instead, we use the so-called
Archimed Explorer, based on the Internet Explorer Library - i.e., it is
functionally the same, but implements all the features we needed for
a secure public-access PC-as-terminal (it runs under Windows 95, but
I am sure can be run on other versions of Windows).

Among the features we required to have:

1.  The browser window takes all the space on the screen, cannot be resized
    or moved, closed or opened.  All the top bar and buttons have disappeared
    (including the logo) and have been replaced by a narrow series of
    buttons, including: BACK, FORWARD and REDRAW, and customizable buttons
    leading to any part of our server we wish - sort of shortcuts available
    at any time.

2.  As a result, there are no menus anymore allowing the user to save a
    page (which could - intentionally or not - erase system files), open any
    URL, fork a browser, etc.  The control functions of the keys/mouse have
    also been disabled - the rightmost mouse button lists just the functions
    on top of the menu bar as per 1.

3.  URL access has also been secured: the installation allows customization of
    which URLs are accessible or not, by regular expressions.  E.g., you can
    for instance allow *://locis.loc.gov/* (all protocols to the Library of
    Congress) or telnet://opale02.bnf.fr/ (just telnet to the French national
    library).  No matter where the URL is found - directly on one of our pages
    or on a page retrieved from the Internet - this control will apply.

4.  The telnet application has been secured, so that once invoked via a URL such
    as above, and exited, it does not allow for opening another connection from
    its menu.

5.  Other helper applications have to be secured as well.

6.  Users can't change the configuration (font size, color, underlining, etc.).

7.  Users can't exit from the application, nor can call any other application.

As such we have turned our PCs into network computers of sorts.  This has been
in public usage for a year now, no complaints.

The Archimed Explorer is available from:
	Archimed
	5, rue Jean Roisin
	F-59800 Lille (France)
	http://www.archimed.fr/