Maintenance is so booooooooooring

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Wed Aug 13 17:31:04 EDT 1997

One of the problems we've found is that there may well be one person
(me) who writes the HTML and plays some with content.  But we also
 have Reference and Branch staff who look over and search for content.
 With the HTML validators now at our disposal, it's almost easier to
run our pages through them for link checking, than it is for Reference
staff to click each link on a page to see if its broken.

We've used AOLPress to write pages and check links and it works well.
 There are lots of others out there.  Since this one is free, you
could give it to your staff to use and have them check links with it
even if they aren't writing HTML.  An average page takes 15 minutes or
so to run though the links for us.  AOLPress happens to be "what you
see is what you get" as far as page design goes so they don't have to
see all of the ugly HTML which they might not understand.  At least
you can try to make it as easy as possible to check links which is
usually the most boring process.
Thanks
Norm Reeder
Library Services Manager
Torrance Public Library
3301 Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90503
310-618-5950
reeder.norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of the City
of Torrance