Whoooo are you? -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon Aug 11 19:01:59 EDT 1997

>>> "Brian Carney (carney)" <carney at sequent.com>
08/11/97 02:26pm >>>
We designed one solution to this problem, implemented in
the digital library that is the center of our corporate Intranet.
Pages include a 'pageinfo' button at the top which displays
the name of the person who published the page, date and
time of last update, content owner, etc.  Use this information
to identify the team that built the page, and thus you can
know where you are.  However, this required a technical
approach to metadata capture/organization/use  which isn't
part of the usual Web server.
------------------
This is an important issue, and you've found one of the many
solutions.  We happen to use a lower tech one.  Some use
frames for that purpose.  We just have a "boilerplate footer"
which I give a copy of to all who are creating page content.
They change the name and mailto to theirs, and then drop in
to the bottom of every page.  It includes snailmail address for
library, phone number, name and mailto for the person
responsible for the page, time and date last updated, and
counters for each day and total since first creation.  Of
course anyone who doesn't want all that can do a more
minimalist solution.  I'm now working on redoing that
boilerplate and tightening up the layout.  Someday I'll get
someone working on web pages that is "more of a design
professional", which I'd never claim to be.  I'm also hoping our
folks will finally agree on a more consistent look and feel.
Since I can't force anyone to do anything, implementation
isn't totally consistent.  In fact, I need to add it to some of my
older pages as well.

You can find examples of our method at
http://library.idbsu.edu/ and many pages thereunder.

dan