Reference service and computers--further reflections -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon Aug 11 18:51:26 EDT 1997

>>> Alan Withoff <awithoff at mlc.lib.ms.us> 08/11/97
01:22pm >>>
> I wonder about the level of reference service when I'm
spending so >much of my time re-booting
> computers, reinstalling printers, .....<SNIP>
>
> Sally Jaeger

Sounds like a call for....NETWORK COMPUTER!!
Alan Withoff, Technology Consultant/ awithoff at mlc.lib.ms.us
Mississippi Library Commission/    http://www.mlc.lib.ms.us

I've yet to see ANY serious reason to believe that a network
computer will fix any of the above.  They can lock up, there'll
still be paperjams, instruction for the patrons, etc.  It MAY
transfer some of the load of such things to the "techie in the
back room", but even with three of us in this library, we sure
aren't here all 92 hours a week the library is open, nor do we
have any desire to be.

As to NCs solving the problems of the world, don't count on it.
 I've yet to see an application for them outside of computer
labs and large data entry or telephone support shops.  In fact,
we're moving more of our applications off of the network onto
local machines as local machines improve.  Why burden the
network, or the server, running a word processor or
spreadsheet off the network if you can do it locally?

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.