WEB4LIB digest 748

Klocek, Angela - Canton kloceka1 at metronet.lib.mi.us
Mon Aug 11 17:46:36 EDT 1997

-Angela R. Klocek

<snipped>

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997 web4lib at library.berkeley.edu wrote:
> Topic No. 3

> 1.  What if you come from a large library that requires you only to do
> Reference Searching?
>       You have a systems person on duty to rely on.
I work reference for a "small" city library, and perform *MINOR*
troubleshooting (nothing too major).  When I can't figure it out, I call
the tech department for our cooperative.  I also work circulation at a
"large" library.  At this library, we have a tech support within the
library to perform troubleshooting tasks.  I do believe (although I could
be mistaking) the reference staff do try and fix the terminals.  When they
can't, they contact the tech support as well.
>From this standpoint, I do believe that Reference Staff should know
how to do minor troubleshooting (ie what to do when a patron locks up
the terminal).  It's beneficial both to the library [patrons] and
themself.
As for the question below, not everyone is mechanically inclined
(just like some of us are "not directional inclined").  They should
be able to ask a coworker for help to check on the problem (coworker =
reference staff) before telling the tech support.  Not everyone is going
to be good at everything all the time.

Just my .02 :}

> 2.   What if you have a Reference Librarian who "just is not
> mechanically inclined"?
>        I should clarify this question by saying this person gets upset
> when a >C prompt appears on the
        screen.