Skills for reference staff

Susan Gilkeson cowgal at ptd.net
Fri Aug 8 19:02:48 EDT 1997

Christopher Platt wrote:

[snip]

  In fact, I'm beginning to believe there *are* people
>      who are just not mechanically inclined, although how any of them got
>      through library school is beyond me since there's very little basic
>      troubleshooting that's more mechanically involved than replacing a
>      card catalog drawer in its slot or plugging in a coffee machine.
>
>      Christopher Platt
>      NYPL
>      cplatt at nypl.org

But, although I understand there ARE people like this, to ME a
non-working computer which is used for reference is the same as a patron
confronting a new paper index. Not being able to use it keeps them from
the information inside. Having computers in the reference area which
aren't working is, to me, the same thing. This is simply a new way to
provide access to information and knowledge and we must be able to at
least provide minimal support in the name of reference and service in
order for our patrons (or customers) to get where they need to know.
Okay, yes, I got my copy of "American Libraries" today and I'm on a
roll.. pretty good articles about change and what to call the people who
come into our libraries. :)

Susan Gilkeson
cowgal at ptd.net