Skills for reference staff

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Fri Aug 8 16:13:02 EDT 1997

                I guess what I mean is that it's easier to have some techs
assisting the librarians than to find tech-minded librarians (although we
have several super-user librarians who give us techies tips from time to
time). My wife teaches English, which in the Composition areas requires word
processing. She is not, however. as she is quick to point out, a word
processing teacher, nor is she interested in becoming one. Anyone going to
her for computer advice will be as confused, and rightly so, as if they had
asked a car mechanic for info about dangling participles.
        In The Future we'll all have computers, and no one will ever need
advice (and they used to say we'd all fly copters to work by 1997). But our
proud non-technical folks, who need us to turn the overhead projector the
right way, are too busy being librarians to study file transfer protocol.
Seems to work pretty well, especially for the customers.

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues