[HIT] CD-ROM evaluation

"Hung Ming Michael (ºµ»Ê)" mmhung at hknet.com
Fri Aug 8 12:03:36 EDT 1997

Here are some interesting information you have given me:
(Thanks for ALL those contributed)

The next issue of PC Magazine will have their annual review of CD-ROMs...
basically they list the top 100, broken down into several categories... you
might want to check their web site for the information towards the end of
next week <http://www.pcmag.com>.

Brig C. McCoy                    - Automation Consultant
Southeast Kansas Library System  - BRIGC at WORLD.STD.COM
218 East Madison Street          - 316 365-5136
Iola, KS  66749                  - 316 365-5137, Fax

--------------

This has been helpful in the past:

Jacso, Peter.  Testing the quality of CD-ROM databases. In: Basch, Reva,
ed. Electronic Information Delivery: Ensuring Quality and Value.
Brookfield, VT, USA: Gower, 1995,  pp 141-168

Hope this helps!

Scott Kiefer			Library Technician
University of Alaska Fairbanks	scottk at muskox.alaska.edu

-------------

In a previous life, I put together a Web page called "Selecting CD-ROMs: A
Brief Bibliography."  Take a look at http://www.bcr.org/cd-bibli.html.

Internet Waves columnist -- Information Today
Best Bet Internet:  Reference and Research When You Don't Have Time to Mess
Around
(ALA Editions -- 9/97)
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/eudora/34/skennedy.html
sdk at mindspring.com

-------------

See if the following is of any use:

K. Medawar, 'Database quality: a literature review of the past and a
plan for the future' in PROGRAM Vol.29 (3) (1995) pps.257-272.

C. Johnston, 'CD-ROM database quality' in PROGRAM Vol.28 (4) (1994)
pps.379-394.

S.H. Chisti, 'CD-ROM vs. Online: a comparison of PsycLIT (CD-ROM) and
PsycINFO (Dialog)' in REFERENCE LIBRARIAN Vol.40 (1993) pps.131-155.

J.A. Large, 'Evaluating Online and CD-ROM reference sources' JOURNAL OF
LIBRARIANSHIP Vol.21 (2) (1989) pps.87-108.

All have a fair list of references.

There is the CENTRE FOR INFORMATION QUALITY MANAGEMENT in Wales.  It is
funded by the British Library and is concerned with investigating
database quality problems and their effects on users.  It is run by
Chris. J. Armstrong who also publishes articles from time to time.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards

Colin Johnston

--------------------------------

Look at our database of Desireable and Exemplary Technology resources at
http://clearinghouse.k12.ca.us to see what educators in California have done
as a statewide project for evaluating all technology resources.

If you will look in the area called INFO and look under Publications and
Projects you will find a document called Guidelines for the Evaluation of
Instructional Technology Resouces...   That doucment gives the  criteria
used when evaluating the titles.  The document is also available for sale
and a nicely bound version.  (the order form is also one of the documents
listed.)

Ruth

You may find the following website useful.  As well as containing reviews
of over 500 educational CD-ROMs, there is a link to a page of information
on "Evaluating CD-ROM Titles"

http://www.ncet.org.uk/cd-rom.html

>                         [Image] CD-ROM reviews
> Over 500 educational CD-ROMs have been evaluated for these
> government-funded initiatives, using a set of pre-defined criteria by
> teams of teachers and school librarians nominated by Local Education
> Authorities, Professional Bodies and Subject Associations. When
> reading the reviews, please remember that they were reviewed at a
> particular time for specific purposes, eg for primary schools in 1995.
>
>  [Image] Primary CD ROM Titles Review 1995
>          CD ROMs mainly for Key Stages 1 and 2
>  [Image] Multimedia Portables for Teachers
>          CD ROMs mainly for Key Stages 2, 3 and 4, and teachers
>  [Image] Welsh Office Multimedia Portables Initiative
>          CD ROMs mainly for Key Stages 1 and 2

> NCET Home Page

Alison McNab

  | Alison McNab  (Academic Services Manager)                               |
  | Pilkington Library, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK  LE11 3TU |
  | Internet: A.S.McNab at Lboro.ac.uk   Tel: 01509 222356   Fax: 01509 223993 |
  | Home page: http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~lbasm/                         |

Here is a site where all CDs and software that were evaluated are
listed. Hope it helps.
TIC
----------
Home Search Info Publishers Comments Help

----------

----------
Welcome to Technology in the Curriculum Online...
the educator's guide to high quality instructional technology resources

 Search the California Technology in the Curriculum Evaluations Database

 Information about the California Instructional Technology Clearinghouse

 Publisher/Producer List

 Comments

 Help

----------
Our site works best with Web browsers that support tables. The following
browsers (or their newer versions) will allow you to get the most out of
Technology in the Curriculum Evaluations Database: Netscape 1.1, Netcruiser
2.0, and NCSA Mosaic 2.0.0 B9.

----------
Home Search Info Publishers Comments Help

Permission is hereby granted to California educators to copy material in
this document for instructional use. The document may not be distributed
for profit.
CALIFORNIA INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY CLEARINGHOUSE
http://clearinghouse.k12.ca.us
© 1997 Stanislaus County Office of Education

Technology in the Curriculum Evaluations Database web site is produced by
Cuesta Technologies, LLC,
creators of award winning online catalogs and sites for Internet commerce.