Skills for reference staff

Janet Kaul jmk at synopsys.com
Thu Aug 7 16:43:27 EDT 1997

I think it's pretty impractical to NOT learn how to do at least
basic computer troubleshooting, for the reasons outlined below. I
don't know about all of you, but my MLIS included information on
the treatment and preservation of books, as they were the major
tool for transmitting information. Now computers have to be included
in that category, so everyone had better learn the same minimal
information about them!

We also have to be careful we're not masking fear of the unknown with
exucuses such as a lack of time or inappropriate professional
direction.

-janet