Skills for reference staff

Alis Whitt whitt at spinner.cofc.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:28:03 EDT 1997

I have personally worked with an individual in possession of a library degree
(mail order?) who thought the dot matrix printer was a laser printer.  I'm
all for being understanding and kind to my fellow humans who've been less
fortunate yadayadayada but NOT when they are supposedly there in a
professional capacity to serve the public.  If I pump gas for a living and I
don't know how to make the pump work or check your oil should I be pumping
gas?  Would you trust me if I said your oil was fine?

If the professional librarian you're working with just spent 20 minutes
fumbling to load the paper and couldn't find the "ready" button to resume the
printing (never mind that you lost your search results 15 minutes ago) would
you believe her when she emphatically stated that Humanities Index
includes everything ever written on Howl?

If so, then I've got some lovely green pasture land down here by the
water I can sell you.  Well, it does flood twice a day (round here we call it
the "tide") but them cows can move up a little bit.

 Alis Whitt
 whitt at spinner.cofc.edu
 College of Charleston