EMRs and security systems, part two

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Thu Aug 7 12:02:17 EDT 1997

I have received a couple of URLs off list from folks who were
letting me know that "EMRs are bad and there are scientific
studies to prove it."  If I didn't communicate clearly late
yesterday, my apologies, so late me state it again.

I KNOW that EMR (ElectroMagneticRadiation) can be bad for
people.  Obviously anyone with a microwave knows that.  I
knew that in the fifties when I was in a group of hams who
were working on some microwave frequency transmitter and
receiver projects (3-10 Ghz, or as we called it back then,
3000-10,000 Megacycles).  We knew full well the potential
dangers of injury or death.

I'm also well aware of much of the current research literature
and political action groups dealing with living under high
voltage lines, etc.  I did indicate that I don't mind walking
under one, however, even if I'd not want to live there (first off, it
would be ugly).

However, the point I was TRYING to make was that I know of
NO studies published that relate any EMR from library
security systems to any injury or damage to humans or to
test animals.  If they exist, I'd love to see citations in any
form.  Also, when this has been discussed multiple times on
the CIRCPLUS list, there have been no indications of
problems from the hundreds of list members who daily work
near library security systems.

Until I learn otherwise, I'll continue to accept such systems
as safe, regardless of manufacturer.  This may be just like
the old saw (which has disappeared in recent years, hopefully
never to resurface) that walking through a library security
system with your magnetic disks will trash the disks.  Nope,
won't happen.  Of course if you leave the disk in the book
when it is being "thumped" by a 3M or other system, that is a
different story.  o-(

cheers

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.