Coffee shops in libraries

Araby Greene greene at bulldog.unca.edu
Thu Aug 7 07:35:26 EDT 1997

We have a cafe in our library building, accessible from the lobby and an
outside entrance. The space where food is allowed extends from cafe
seating to a small extended-hours reading room. There are a few vending
machines in the space that are not part of the concession and that remain
available when a gate is closed at the cafe service counter.

There is limited food available: coffees and other beverages (juice, milk,
snapple, tea, etc.), muffins, bagels, pastries, sandwiches, salads, chips,
cereal bars. We will soon put an OPAC terminal and/or PC in the reading
room space (does a single Internet connection an Internet Cafe make?) and
possibly in the Cafe itself (less likely). The Cafe has been very
profitable for the vendor (Marriott) due to its convenience and the
pleasant personality of the full-time employee. There is also an outside
patio with seating.

To get an idea of where the cafe is on the building plans, see:
http://www.unca.edu/library/entrance.html
Click on the cafe to see a little description. These are among the oldest
pages on our Web site, so a little retro looking.

Araby Greene
Ramsey Library, UNC-Asheville

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Marty Williams wrote:

> --------------C5AD36EF19EEFF394075528B
>
> While I'm on a roll and further to a request some time ago re internet
> cafes in libraries, are there any public libraries who have set up a
> coffee shop / snack bar / cafe, with or without internet terminals?? I
> would like to know what sort of success or otherwise has been
> encountered.
>
> Ta
>
> Marty Williams
>  Noarlunga Library

Araby Greene                    (704)251-6632
Electronic Resources            greene at bulldog.unca.edu
& Government Information        http://www.unca.edu/~greene
Ramsey Library, UNC-Asheville   http://www.unca.edu/library