Browser use statistics -Reply

Mark Wilden Mark at mWilden.com
Thu Aug 7 01:20:40 EDT 1997

> In addition to the argument posed earlier about accessibility to text
> browsing being disabilities-friendly (which I think is sufficient reason
> for accessible html in and of itself)

I had a long "discussion" on an html newsgroup about this issue. My feeling
is that if you're designing a site for yourself, you have the right to
limit its accessibility to whatever degree you wish. But if you're
designing a library site, it behooves you to make it accessible as
possible. This means not using browser-specific features and making it
available in text form for those who prefer it (or who can access it in no
other way, like the blind). What the folks there finally convinced me of,
however, is that you can almost always create a visually expressive page
without shutting out text users. Adding an ALT-text is no big deal, after
all.