Browser use statistics

Albert Lunde Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu
Mon Aug 4 22:57:51 EDT 1997

>I am looking for statistics on use of Web browsers from the popularity
>of various versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer to lynx.  Today
>I was chided for considering how a Web page would look in lynx and I was
>told t"
>only 5% of Internet users use lynx and the number is dwindling"

I just started logging and counting "User Agent" headers recently. But the
raw numbers aren't very helpful because all the different variations, on
say "Mozilla". Some quick counts with grep and awk suggest that lynx is
less than one percent of the hits. But this may well be biased: I suspect
this includes requests for graphical files (which will be 100% from GUI
browsers.)

A closely related issue that is not going to go away, and isn't just a
question of percentage of users, is how web pages read to disabled users
using screen readers or special-purpose software.

---
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu