NY Times Article on Filtering Mentions Filtering Facts -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Thu Aug 21 14:19:51 EDT 1997

>>> filteringfacts <David_Burt at filteringfacts.org> 08/20/97
11:41pm >>>
Today's NY Times has an article entitled "ACLU Attacks
Filter Software =
in Libraries" at
http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/law/082197law.html
 "When I went to college, =
the library
          there had TVs that only got CNN and PBS. Everything
else was
          blocked. Nobody said that was censorship."

------------
I'm sure that is true at the college David attended.  It is not
the college that most of us would have chosen to attend.  I
attended a similar college for one year in the early sixties and
didn't choose to return.  But I don't doubt David's word on that
or anything else regarding his own sincerely held beliefs.  Of
course I don't doubt the reality of the Pope's sincerely held
beliefs either, I just don't believe that either of them should
impose them on others.  I DO believe they have full rights to
espouse them, however, at least if the topic is relevant to the
forum in which it is being discussed.  And I have full rights to
use my delete key,too.  o-)

I have one question, however.....there is no indication of
"outside support" for filteringfacts, although there is certainly
some cost in the domain name, web service, etc.  David, is
that paid for strictly from your own pocket, or is there a
company (such as a filter company), a church, a political
group, a wealthy benefactor, or anyone else helping to
support the site?  I'll take you at your word, but a public
answer will be appreciated.

thanks

dan