THE ACLU'S SLAPP AT LIBRARIANS

Elisabeth Roche eroche at sisna.com
Sat Aug 2 19:10:51 EDT 1997

Mr. Creech, this is replied to you, as last on the thread of discussion.
But I am aware that this message really is speaking to Dave(?) of
filteringfacts, not you. - Elisabeth

--my message--
I think it is important to keep the distinctions between holding a position
and the constitutional right to express that position, clear.

It appears that filteringfacts blurs the line or more in many of the posts
to the library newsgroups.

If we lose the right to express our opinions, popular or not, we might as
well hand it all over and call the 221 year old grand experiment over.

So much for the actualization of the principals of our U.S. republic.

Advocacy does go both ways, people with an opposing view do have a right to
co-exist in our society. The idea was to allow all the different positions
room, no need to repress or outlaw the *opposition.*

If the *plan* is *not to restrict your right to express an opinion* but to
*make that opinion as lonely as that tree falling in the forest* then IMHO
those advocates should study the tactics of others who have managed this by
less public and noticeable means. [my words *-for emphasis not quoting
purposes]

It's a hard sell to convince librarians that there is an inherent good in
restricting access to information.
Pick on a different group if you expect success. The White House seems like
fertile ground these days.

Elisabeth Roche  Roche Resources  eroche at sisna.com
serendipity RULES!