Info request: multiples computers accessing Internet via the same phone line

Linda Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:14:40 EDT 1997

>I believe there is a product which allows several computers to access
>the Internet simultaneously using the same telephone line.
>
>Does any one know about such a product?

Sounds like ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network).  This is a type of
copperwire-based phone service though, not a product.  I have heard of 28
computers all using one ISDN line with no problems.  I have not been one of
the 28 so I cannot comment specifically on how well it works.   Sacramento
Public Library and Pasadena Public Library use it that way.  Here is a
blurb from the PacBell website
(http://www.kn.pacbell.com/edfirst/isdn_equ.html):

>Centrex ISDN:      Pacific Bell's Basic Rate Interface (BRI)  service
>available as part of Pacific >Bell's Centrex service. It offers standard
>BRI 2B+D interfaces, and uses standard twisted-pair >telephone lines for
>voice, data and video communications. With Centrex ISDN, Pacific Bell in
>>effect allocates a segment of its central office switch to act as a
>dedicated PBX for the >customer's ISDN system.
>
>Estimated cost:  $36.26 per line, per month, plus installation

I don't know what the cost would be with the new Discounted Access Services
(DAS).  There is also a webpage called Internet Access with Multiple
Computers (LAN) at http://www.kn.pacbell.com/edfirst/int_lan.html that
includes pictures (!!)  There is a ton of stuff over at the regular PacBell
site too (http://www.pacbell.com)

Linda Woods Hyman
Pacific Bell Education First
Dept. of Educational Technology