Search engine listserv?

Joy Schwarz schwarz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG
Fri Aug 1 09:27:19 EDT 1997

Marc -

I'm subscribed to a "search" e-discussion group, and here's the info on it:

  From narnett at verity.com Fri Aug  1 07:16:03 1997
  Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:31:35 -0700
  From: Nick Arnett <narnett at verity.com>
  To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>

  I've decided to take the plunge and start a mailing list. For quite some
  time, people have talked about starting a list focused on search. That's
  what I've created.

  To subscribe, send a message containing the word "subscribe" in the
  body to:

  search-request at mccmedia.com

  For those of you who know list servers, this may not be a familiar one,
  though the commands are fairly standard.  It's the EMWAC server, running on
  Windows NT. It's a very basic server.

  This list is unmoderated and my approach will be quite hands-off.  I'll
  only ask that discussions stay on the topic of search and agent
  technologies, products, services, etc. All vendors are welcome. If the list
  traffic becomes heavy, I will split it into multiple lists.  It will be
  archived, like many other Web-related lists, on my server at
  http://www.mccmedia.com/.  That server is rebuilding all of its files right
  now, partly in preparation for adding this list and others.

  Disclaimer: I am the Evangelist for Verity Inc., of which I am a
  stockholder.  Verity makes search tools.  However, this list is owned and
  operated by Multimedia Computing Corp., a 10-year-old company of which I am
  majority owner and CEO. To cut through the legalese, I'll just say that I'm
  not operating this list on Verity's behalf in any manner.

HTH -

Joy Schwarz                  |  A sufficiently
Interlibrary Loan Librarian  |  developed technology
Winnefox Library System      |  is indistinguishable
Oshkosh, WI  USA             |  from magic.
schwarz at axp.winnefox.org     |      - Arthur C. Clarke