Filters/Cybersitter

Joel Rosenfeld joelr at sinnfree.sinnfree.org
Fri Apr 25 10:04:57 EDT 1997

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, David L. King wrote:

snip...
> Why should library philosophy for the online version be any different
> than the philosophy for the print version? What makes a library not
> want to carry the print version of Hustler, but greet the online version
> with open arms?

Thank you, David King for pointing out that Internet access is different
from collection development. Its intellectual freedom paradigm is also
different. What is a library to do? I favor offering Internet sources
selected by the library for authority, ease of use, collection relevance,
etc., but also permitting people to seek out their own paths as they
choose because Internet makes it possible to seek outside of constraints
for good reasons or not so good reasons.

Librarians are trained to evaluate information sources and collections.
Whose training can we trust to evaluate someone else's reasons for
seeking?

Joel Rosenfeld
Rockford Public Library - my own opinion and not library policy