TIFF-to-Jpeg batch converter?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 25 07:50:08 EDT 1997

>From: David P Atkins <notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Date: Thursday, April 24, 1997 6:40 PM
>Subject: TIFF-to-Jpeg batch converter?

>Hello all,
>
>We're about to publish aerial photographs on the WWW and want to be as
lazy
>as possible.  Are there any batch converters that will take a directory
>full of tiff images  and convert them into jpeg or gif images?

In the Windows world, HiJaak Pro will do batch conversions from various
formats (including TIFF) to various formats (including JPEG and GIF).  In
Windows95, just highlight the files you want to convert, right-click, and
select HiJaak Convert.

In the Unix world, you should explore the PPM utilities.  They're a bunch
of individual commands that convert between graphics formats by way of the
PPM format (Portable PixMap - sort of a Unix Esperanto for graphics) and
can also handle things like resizing if you want to make a set of
thumbnails.  In true Unix style, you're expected to string a set of these
commands together and roll your own shell script to process the entire
directory.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu