Wired News: Librarians Struggle with Censorware Issue (fwd)

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 30 23:47:06 EDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From Wired News:

>           Librarians Struggle with Censorware Issue
>           by Ashley Craddock
>
>           4:52pm  29.Apr.97.PDT Responding to the flurry of concern
>           that kids may forgo the beach in favor of online
>           smut-surfing, the Intellectual Freedom Committee of the
>           American Library Association is readying a set of
>           guidelines that emphasize software-free approaches to
>           keeping children safe online.
>
>           "We will suggest guidelines essentially saying that
>           librarians should have usage policies appropriate to the
>           Internet, and that if they don't, they should damn well
>           write some," Judith Krug, director of the library
>           association's Office for Intellectual Freedom, said
>           Tuesday.

(rest of article available at):

	http://www.wired.com/news/politics/story/3499.html

           Related Wired Links:
           Ohio Bill Would Limit Libraries' Net Access
           by Rebecca Vesely

           Library Blocks Porn, and May Block Rights
           by Rebecca Vesely

           Library Net Wars: Solutions to Confusion
           by Jon Katz

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University