Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning tide

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Tue Apr 29 12:12:47 EDT 1997

It's definitely worth noting that every time the filtering debate comes
up on this list, more and more librarians express pro-filtering
sentiments.  Librarians I know in "Real Life" are increasingly willing
to openly support the idea of true, meaningful selection of Internet
resources, and are rejecting the stuporous "everything on the net or
nothing" false dichotomy, which turns librarian's selection role into
that of a dumbed-down public access port, and standing up to the moral
arrogance and professional stupidity of defending porn in children's
rooms.

I  applaud  every librarian who has had the courage to brave being
called a thought policeman, cybernotsi, censor, collaborator, etc. among
other nice things the anti-filtering extremists have called us on this
list,  and stand up for their selection rights, and most of all, for
common sense.

Let's keep up the fight, we're winning.

     It's really sad to see someone, on a librarian list, celebrate that
     their side, the pro-censorship side, is "winning." I truly hope that
     this list has some subscribers who are in library schools, so they can
     get a glimpse of the ugly side of the profession. Maybe this will give
     them a chance to reconsider their enrollments and give them some
     impetus to switch professions. It certainly makes me wonder sometimes
     why I became a librarian.

     I resent Mr. Burt's attempt to marginalize the anti-filter argument as
     coming from "anti-filtering extremtists."

     Mr. Burt, you have just proved our point. Why do you think we are
     outraged that censorware products such as CyberPatrol have filters for
     categories such as "Extremism?" Because it makes it easy to block
     access to controversial opinions. I believe we have gone over
     examples, which I won't repeat.

     It is impossible to "reform" these products, because their very
     existence and implementation allow for somebody, be it a librarian or
     a mayor, to decide what is appropriate information-seeking behavior.
     Those of us who are against censorware products trust the end-users to
     make the decisions about what they need. We'd like to help them, of
     course, with guides to quality sites on given subjects, but the nature
     of the web with all of its content, allows users much more control
     over seeking information.

     Censorware, and other hysteric attempts to "enclose" the information
     sphere, may be successful in the short term, but will resisted as
     people realize what you are doing to them.

     They will get the message that they are idiots who can't determine
     want they want to know. They will come to resent the the idea that
     there are "appropriate" sites. They will come to understand that
     freedom of speech applies to EVERYBODY and that no one, including
     software company executives, librarians, teachers, NPR commentators,
     and Supreme Court justices, do NOT have a right to decide what
     information is appropriate for them.

     Webmasters I have talked to are really depressed about what is
     happening in libraries concerning net access. Just when it looked like
     the Web would bring some wonderful democratization to the information
     sphere, it looks like the corporations are making headway in
     information monopolization and maintaining their current stranglehold
     on traditional information sources: print, radio, TV, movies etc.

     Don't get me started on the absurd notion that some of you have that
     commercial sites have more quality to them than homegrown efforts.

     Mr Burt, I look forward to sharing your message with my
     "non-extremist" friends. I'm sure they will be shocked to see these
     comments. I think that public still sees librarians as being
     anti-censorship. They will be disappointed when they learn of this
     paradigm-shift in librarianship.

     Proud to be labeled an extremist,
     Chuck Munson