Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning tide

Laura Quilter lauramd at uic.edu
Sun Apr 27 10:46:32 EDT 1997

I really don't see that the notion that educating users to be self-aware,
intelligent "consumers," has much to do with being a dumbed-down public
access port.  Frankly, I didn't go into librarianship because I was
excited at the idea that I could "select" or "censor" materials for
patrons.  Now that we have the opportunity to present an unmediated medium
(so to speak) I think we have two great opportunities: 1) to really prove
the value of end-user critical thinking - which has always been important
but could sometimes be ignored by users who relied on someone else to do
their selection for them; 2) to assist in the creation and navigation of
information-search systems and organizational schemas.

The question is: is censorship / selection a core value of librarianship,
and why, and should it remain so?  I agree that censorship / selection are
two terms describing essentially the same function.  I do not agree that
they are a core value of librarianship, but they have been a core SKILL.

I doubt we will find any more consensus on this issue than we can find
consensus on what is "true, meaningful selection."

Mr. Burt, you are guilty of collapsing and malforming your opponent's
arguments into sentiments unrecognizable to them.  "Defending porn in
children's rooms," for example.  Nor do I recall that any pro-filter-ware
people have been called cybernazis or thought-police.  Censor, yes.  It's
an accurate term and not everyone takes offense at it.

"Our selection rights," indeed.  What an interesting concept.

Laura M. Quilter   /   lauramd at uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago
http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/