cyberfiltering: (anybody else ...)

scharles libernet at midtown.net
Sun Apr 27 01:32:38 EDT 1997

As a general proposition, I think "cyberfiltering" is something of a waste
of time, except that it might be a cash cow for those who sell the software.
Having said that, there are some points that I think are important.

At the library I work at, we have two types of public access internet
connections:  those in the main reference area, and those in the childrens
section.

I think it would be inappropriate for the children to be reading erotic
literature.  I think it would be inapropriate to introduce it to them, or
make it available to them.  I would also not make cigars available to them,
or whiskey.

I smoke the occasional cigar, and I like Van Winkles 19 year old Bourban
(any comment beyond this would be immodest).  Whenever possible (and
practical), I like to decide for myself what is, or is not, appropriate for
my personal consumption.

When the children are older, I hope they come to enjoy life as much as I
have, in their own way, and in their own time.

I still think the real solution to this issue is software that allows
librarians to apply whatever standard they feel best expresses the fullness
of their library mission statement.

And I still think that erotic literature, and anything else, can be
considered information to the degree that it reduces uncertainty.

Good luck to all of you in your professional endevors.

Scott Charles