Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning tide

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Sat Apr 26 23:56:48 EDT 1997

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Burt, David wrote:

> It's definitely worth noting that every time the filtering debate comes
> up on this list, more and more librarians express pro-filtering
> sentiments.  Librarians I know in "Real Life" are increasingly willing
> I  applaud  every librarian who has had the courage to brave being
> called a thought policeman, cybernotsi, censor, collaborator, etc. among
> other nice things the anti-filtering extremists have called us on this
> list,  and stand up for their selection rights, and most of all, for
> common sense.
>
> Let's keep up the fight, we're winning.

Please don't interpret an unwillingness to continue to flog a dead horse
as assent for your position. Just about everything that could be said on
this issue has been said, and most of us have a life outside this forum.
Continuing to cycle through the same arguments doesn't add anything.
Neither does the kind of inflammatory statement made above.

This isn't a "fight"; we're honestly attempting to reason out the issue
and the best responses to situations librarians must confront. If you
have light to contribute, that would be welcomed, but I don't think
anyone has been elected to summarize the sense of this list's entire
membership.

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University