AltaVista's "Way-cool topics map" (was: IRS...)

Joe Barker jbarker at library.berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 26 23:36:07 EDT 1997

I agree that LiveTopics is a wonderful resource.
But have any of you tried using it in AV Advanced Search?  It adds terms
with AND or excludes with AND NOT, fulling confusing Boolean searches of
any complexity at all.
I teach this stuff all the time, and have come to recommend that people
use Live Topics to expand their vocabulary and concepts.  But then revise
their Boolean search carefully deciding when to OR, when to use
parentheses, and where to insert terms suggested by Live Topics.

Or do all of you only use and/or teach the Simple Search?  I think
Advanced is best.

I'd appreciate your comments on this opinion and on using Simple vs.
Advanced.

Joe Barker, Teaching Library, UC Berkeley.