Anyone using Dublin Core and meta fields?

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 25 21:38:58 EDT 1997

> KAREN SCHNEIDER <SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
>
> Is anyone out there using the Dublin Core and meta
> fields for embedding metadata in HTML? We're
> interested in this and I don't know if this is
> very much in the abstract still or if anyone is
> actually-factually doing this.

Yes and no, but mostly yes.

Many, if not most, of my personal home pages include META tags. While
not using the Dublin Core specifically, my META tags almost always
include author(s), title, and subject(s). The subjects I use come from
a database I created. The subject scheme is more or less Eric Lease
Morgan's Used Bookstore Model (ELMUBM).  :-)

All of my personal home pages are created using a database application
(a FileMaker Pro and Frontier combination). Into each record of this
database I feed titles, authors, subjects, body tags, headers, footers
and body content. All of these things, except the content, are
selected from pop-up menus.

When the database application creates the HTML of my home pages, it
automagically, based on the META tags, creates subject-specific
Harvest searches in the footers of my documents. This way I can link
similar documents together with controlled vocabulary terms. It also
allows me to create a set of home pages with a similar look and feel.

Give it a try. Go the following URL and notice the subject-specific
hotlinks in the footer:

  http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/morgan/mr-d.html

Take a look at the HTML source code. Notice how the HEAD of the
document contains the META tags. Notice the end if the HTML. The
*long* URLs at the bottom are Harvest queries. All of this content
(the HEAD and the long URLs) are generated by my database program and
Frontier.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
NCSU Libraries