Filters/Cybersitter and IRS/AltaVista

Maxine Feinberg maxif at li.net
Fri Apr 25 13:12:47 EDT 1997

On April 25, 1997, Ronnie Morgan wrote:

>For me, the issue was never about the information that is available on
>the net.  The issue is the pornography.  Porn is not information...

Which brings us back to the previous discussion regarding
searches that produce unwitting results.

One of the issues we need to address, and, I believe, we have been
skirting, because it's thorny, is the insidious manipulation of search
engines by pornographers.  Instead of simply focusing on how to
parse search requests correctly, or theoretically musing about freedom
of information, we should be considering the very real prospect of
delivery of mis- or disinformation.  I agree that porn is not
information.

Unless there's a way of having a library's computers automatically add
a "-sex" (or every conceivable smutty alternatives -- just think of the
brainstorming sessions!) to every search query a patron might submit
(and I can't think of how this might be accomplished), how do we educate
users -- particularly young users -- to accomplish searches that will be
productive and not seductive?

Maxine M. Feinberg
aka maxif at li.net
Cybrarian wannabe/soontabe
Graduate Assistant and MLS Candidate, St. John's University