Networked printing problem...

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Thu Apr 24 20:46:18 EDT 1997

We just started using a networked printer for public use in our reference
department. Currently, the printer is hooked to our Netscape PCs and
Windows-based PCs running WinSpirs. They go through a Novell network at
some point in order to get to the networked printer, which is an HP
laserjet 5si mx. The eventual goal of all this is to charge .05 cents per
page for printouts, and hopefully get patrons to start downloading their
info.

Our problem is that sometimes the Netscape print jobs "disappear," or they
take a "real long" time to reach the printer (1-5 minutes). Obviously,
this is a frustrating problem for us, especially since this sometimes
causes the WinSpirs print jobs to get "clogged up," as well. We're still
trying to figure all this out...

Is anyone else using some form of networked printing, and is it working?
I'd like to hear horror/success stories.

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu