Filters/Cybersitter

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Thu Apr 24 18:37:47 EDT 1997

Okay, two more things:

I had a feeling the "but what about the people who can't afford a PC"
arguement would be used, and I suppose I should have addressed that to
begin with.  (Or maybe not even use the arguement I gave, but hind sight is
20/20).  Anyway, all of you are right.  And I agree that the library should
be a place to access the internet.  But, I don't agree that it should be a
place to "get off", if you know what I mean.  And I'm not saying that any
of you said that, but if you want pornography to be allowed, then you will
get people in your library that will only want access to do just that.

Second, with my limited understanding about how my campus is set up, I
believe we have selected what rateings we wanted to block and which ones we
didn't want to block.  So, if we wanted partial nudity to be allowed, but
not full nudity, then we can set it up that way.  This is the reason why I
was using the Collection Development arguement.  And it's not like someone
looked at a sight and said "Well, ah, I think this one should be
blocked...".  They have rules that must be followed.  If you look at the
list for Cyber Patrol, it even gives examples of what would be blocked and
what would not.  For instance, anything on breast cancer would not be
blocked.  (Which I believe was a concern from someone on this list)  In a
sense, you are selecting what is going to be in the library and therefore,
your Collection Developement policy would still be required.  And in this
case, cost is irrevelent, as has been pointed out...  However, cost is not
the only reason why libraries have a Collection Development policy.

Ronnie