Squid

James Powell jpowell at borg.lib.vt.edu
Thu Apr 24 18:00:26 EDT 1997

Is anyone using Squid Internet Object Cache
(http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/) to cache web documents?  Has anyone
tried to use it to provide proxy services for restricted resources?  We
have been using Netscape proxy to cache documents for public access web
stations in our main library and it has worked well.  However, our
Computer Science department insists we should switch to Squid because it
supports Internet Cache Protocol
http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/ICP/ICP-id.txt).  This protocol is used by
Squid cache servers to exchange information about the contents of their
caches.  But Squid is based on the cache component of Harvest, and
Harvest's proxy blocked file uploads, and had no administrative
interface (and no support).

Thanks

James Powell -- jpowell at vt.edu
Distributed Information Systems, Virginia Tech